1. Written in very bad handwriting, the letter was difficult to read.
2. Writing his first book, he could not help worrying about the reaction of the critics.
3. Being so far away from home, he still felt himself part of the family.
4. Not wishing to discuss that difficult and painful problem, he changed the subject.
5. Being translated by a good specialist, the story preserved all the sparkling humour of the original.
6. Waiting in the hall, he thought over the problem he was planning to discuss with the old lady.
7. Being lied down on the soft couch, the exhausted child fell asleep at once.
8. She went to work, leaving the child with the nurse.